British Showjumping is the national governing body in Great Britain which formulates the rules and codes of practice under which all affiliated competitions are held. Our purpose is to improve and maintain standards of showjumping, while encouraging members of all standards and at all levels to enjoy fair competition over safe and attractive courses.
As part of the term rotation, British Showjumping is seeking a Chair to lead a skills based Board. This is a voluntary position and the successful individual will have a proven background in working at Board level especially as Chair and a knowledge of Showjumping. We are looking for someone who has skills in strategic planning, negotiation and communication, who will provide effective leadership for the organisation.
The Chair leads the British Showjumping Board in a non–executive capacity and specifically to assist with good governance and to represent British Showjumping in meetings with external organisations.
The Chair is pivotal to creating the conditions for overall board and individual director effectiveness, both inside and outside the boardroom and encourages active engagement by all members of the Board.
- Ensure good governance, lead on strategic planning, monitor performance and develop a productive relationship with the Executive team.
- Act as a strong advocate for British Showjumping including working to ensure effective communications with members, the British Equestrian Federation, other member bodies of the BEF, as well as funding agencies and equestrian organisations at home and abroad.
- Attend Board meetings and BEF meetings where appropriate.
- Promote the highest standards of corporate governance and provide effective leadership for the organisation.
- Knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, British Showjumping and the way it is run.
- Substantial Board experience ideally as Chair in the public, private or voluntary sector.
- Experience of working with other organisations/businesses both within and across sectors.
- Experience of an organisation responsible for handling, managing and making decisions involving significant income and expenditure.
- A person who can quickly command confidence and respect, and exercise influence in the sport.
- Excellent communication skills with experience of public speaking and dealing with the media.
- Skills in strategic leadership, chairmanship and negotiation, as well as managing people and resources.
- Envisaged between 35 – 40 days per annum, including approximately 6 Board meetings a year.
Closing Date for applications: Midday Friday 18th January 2019
Interviews will be held on Friday 25th January 2019